3 Tips for Taking Black and White Photos

Monday, February 20, 2017


First off, if you don't already know the number one golden rule for great photography, well here it is.

There are no rules.

I know, crazy right?  It's like a load off your shoulders, there's no stress or anxiety.  Second of all, if you want some tips on ways to take some cool black and white photos you should read this post :)

Now, I'd like to make sure that I start by saying there is no one way to take perfect or great photos.  Each photographer is very unique.  Just like you.  In this post however, I'm going to go over the 3 basic things that I think you need to be aware of to take some awesome black and white photos.


Tip #1 Go to the light

If you're outdoors, sweeeet, that's awesome, there's usually light out there.  If you're indoors, go to the window or anywhere in your house that has light.  The light brightens up your subject so we can see it/him/her.




Tip #2 Be okay with darkness

I'm not really sure if this is technically a "tip" but it's a good thing to be aware of.  This also might seem silly to some, but actually this opens a value-able door photography.

I remember as a kid using my first camera, I wanted to make sure that every single photo was taken in bright sunlight so that every person's face was seen completely.  This isn't necessarily a bad thing.  However, to get to know light and shadow better, I suggest allowing yourself to be okay with dark places in a photo.  I'm sure after I just told you the first tip, you're probably a little confused right about now.  See below.



These photos are almost entirely black.  This adds some visual interest and creates a little more tension and mood.  Also, by experimenting with the effects of light and shadow in black and white photos, I find it helps you puts some new tools in your photography toolbox.  Experience is the best teacher.


Tip #3 Go out of your comfort zone and take lots and lots of photos

You'll probably think that's such a cheater tip, lol.  But I'm serious, taking a ton of photos is the only way to grow.  I find making mistakes or accidentally taking the photos that you didn't mean to take are the ones that teach you the most.  It also teaches you the kinds of photos that you are more drawn to taking, which helps if you're trying to create a consistent aesthetic.



I hope you found anything useful in here and thanks for stopping by!

-Jordan

Post a Comment

where to find me




Jordan Harmon © . QUINN CREATIVES .